Saving money while living life!

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Fresh Baked Bread Recipe

I love to eat fresh baked bread. The problem is that I am too cheap to buy it. It took me a bit of altering but I have found this recipe that my family just loves. It has produced great loves of bread every time that I've made it.

Ingredients:

2 pkgs. yeast (I buy mine in bulk at Winco and use about 4 1/2 tsp.)
2 cups warm water
2 T. cooking oil (I use vegetable oil)
2 T. granulated sugar
2 tsp. salt
4-5 cups flour

Grease two loaf pans. I use cooking spray but shortening or oil will also work.

Dissolve yeast and sugar in 1 cup water. Use a 2 c. glass measuring cup.


Let this mixture stand for about 10 min. or until it reaches the top of the measuring cup.



In the meantime, combine 2 cups flour, oil, and salt in mixing bowel.



Add 1 cup warm water. Combine well.




When yeast mixture is ready dump it on top of flour mixture do not stir. Let sit an additional 10 minutes. You can skip this step but the bread will not be as light.



Using a standing mixer combine flour, 1 cup at a time until the dough is elastic and does not stick to sides. You can also do this step by hand. Mix in as much flour as you can in the bowl. Then knead in the remainder of flour. Knead dough 6-8 minutes until smooth and elastic.



If using mixer pour dough onto floured surface.
Separate into two even balls.



Shape dough into logs that will fit into loaf pans. To do this I use my hands to make a rectangle out of each ball and then roll it into a log. Place in loaf pans.



Cover pans with plastic wrap. I also like to throw a towel over the top.



Let rise for 30 minutes in a warm place til double in size.
At this time I preheat my oven to 375.



Bake in 375 oven for 30 minutes. The tops should be golden and there should be a hallow sound when you tap on the top.

Let cool in pan until you are able to handle and finish cooling on a wire rack.



For best results don't cut bread until it is completely cool. Also cutting is easier with an electric knife. ( I don't have one but a sharp regular knife also works well). Store in plastic zipper bags.

Where I live my bread tends to last 4-5 days. But the life of the bread will vary by person depending on where you live and how you store it. Honestly it is so good that it never lasts 5 days.

You can substitute white flour for wheat but I find that it is a lighter bread with at least 1 cup of white flour in it. This again will depend on your preference.


Finally, enjoy your bread. It is best eaten with friends and family.



No comments:

Post a Comment