Saving money while living life!

Thursday, August 12, 2010

From Idaho With Love: Day 4



Every day this week I am going to tell you about some of my favorite cheap family outings right here in Idaho. You see my husband has taken next week off for vacation. The catch is that we opted to not go anywhere far and to spend our vacation money on a new bed and couch (we desperately needed them. Our bed was a hand-me-down and was about 20+ years old and our couch well I can't tell you how many back aches I got from it.)
Since we are staying around here, I am in charge of coming up with fun things for us to do. I thought I would include all of you in my planning. All the places that I am going to tell you about my family loves and have a lot of fun at but don't break the bank.

Today I want to tell you about a couple of our favorite places that cost a little bit of money but are totally worth it.


First there is Zoo Boise located at 355 Julia Davis Dr. Boise . We love love love this zoo. I can't tell you how many times we have gone there and everytime we discover something new. They have a new wallably walkabout where you can get up close with the wallabies. Also you can now feed girraffes for a small price (I think it's $2.00 per person or leaf of lettuce). When we did this the giraffe licked our hands it was a really memorable exsperience for the kids. They also recently added a boat ride that costs $1.00 per person and it takes you around a small laggon. They have monkeys who are sporting mohauks you can only see from the boat. Very cool. And of course if you go you to the petting zoo and we always have to make a trip on the merry-go-round. Overall it is a very fun.
Open from 10 am - 5 pm daily the cost is:
Adults (12-61): $5.25
Seniors (62+): $3.00
Children (4-11): $2.75
Children (3 & under): Free
They also sell memberships for the zoo. We got a family one for just $65.00 per year. Go here to find out more.




We also like to go to the Hawks baseball games Boise's professional baseball team. They are a Class-A affiliate or farm team of the Chicago Cubs, and have won six Northwest League Championships. The Hawks' short-season schedule runs mid-June through early September, and home games are played at Memorial Stadium next to the Fairgrounds.
We in fact will probably be going to a game tonight.
Tickets cost from $5.00-$10.00.Go here to find out more.




Finally Craters of the Moon is a place where I have yet to take my family but I have been and love it. Craters of the Moon is a huge national park. It is over 1,100 square miles (over 750,000 acres), which is roughly the size of Rhode Island. This national monument and reserve is a vast ocean of lava flows that make up the bulk of the Monument and Preserve, and which can clearly be seen from space, with scattered islands of cinder cones and sagebrush. Hundreds of pioneers traveled through the area on the Goodale's Cutoff section of the Oregon trail in the 1850's and 1860's. A seven-mile loop road provides unequaled opportunities to explore Craters of the Moon, including access to trails that take you over, under, and around various volcanic features. It is located 18 miles west of Arco on Hwy 20/26/93. Go here to find out more.
The prices are:
Free: to skiers and snow boarders only when roads are closed
$8 per car: once roads are opened (good for one week)
Hours:
8 am - 6 pm: Memorial Day - Labor Day
8 am - 4:30 pm: rest of year (closed on federal holidays during the winter)

If I can talk my husband into it this is where I want to go for a trip next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment