Saving money while living life!

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

From Idaho With Love: Day 3



Every day this week I am going to tell you about some of my favorite cheap family outings right here in Idaho. You see my husband has taken next week off for vacation. The catch is that we opted to not go anywhere far and to spend our vacation money on a new bed and couch (we desperately needed them. Our bed was a hand-me-down and was about 20+ years old and our couch well I can't tell you how many back aches I got from it.)
Since we are staying around here, I am in charge of coming up with fun things for us to do. I thought I would include all of you in my planning. All the places that I am going to tell you about my family loves and have a lot of fun at but don't break the bank.

Today I thought I would talk about a couple of free museums that we might try out.



First is the the Idaho Museum of Mining and Geology. Located next to the Old Penitentiary in Idaho's Historical District (2455 Old Penitentiary Road in Boise), the Idaho Museum of Mining and Geology (IMMG) offers exhibits and educational programs about Idaho's fascinating geologic history and rich mining heritage. Go here to find out more.
It is open Wednesday-Sunday from 12 pm to 5pm and the best part is that it is free.


Another place is the Idaho Black History Museum. Located at 508 Julia Davis Drive
Boise (across from the zoo), it was founded in 1995, and is currently the only black history museum in the Pacific Northwest. The quaint museum chronicles the rich history of Blacks in Idaho beginning with William Clark's slave York, who accompanied Lewis & Clark on their historic journey west. The museum offers a combination of exhibits, educational programs and special events that interpret Black history and culture in Idaho. It's purpose is to build bridges between cultures to explore issues that affect Americans of all cultures and ethnicities.
It is open on Saturdays from 11 Am -4pm and the cost is free. Go here to find out more.




If your family is into sports than The World Sports Humanitarian Hall of Fame, located on the Boise State University campus in Idaho is the place for you. It recognizes individuals and organizations from the world of amateur and professional athletics who, through their humanitarian efforts, distinguish themselves as role models in the community.
More than 35 sports-humanitarians have been enshrined in Boise, including tennis great Arthur Ashe, MLB pioneer Jackie Robinson, NFL coaching legend Tom Landry, the NBA's David Robinson, soccer great Pele and the Harlem Globetrotters.
The Hall was the inspiration behind Boise's Humanitarian Bowl, and its Humanitarian Awards program annually recognizes exceptional community-focused organizations and leaders from Major League Baseball, National Basketball Association, National Football League, National Hockey League, Major League Soccer, NASCAR, NCAA College Football and other organizations.
Go here to find out more.
The museum is located at 1400 Bronco Lane in Boise and is open Monday - Friday: 9 am - 5 pm. And the admission is free.


My kids just love going to these type of places. I think it's great because they are also educational. Although I would never tell them that though.

No comments:

Post a Comment