Saving money while living life!

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Super Yummy Strawberry Shortcake!


For Mother's Day I wanted Strawberry Shortcake.
And I know that I was being picky but I wanted it homemade.

Well my husband being the trooper that he is made it for me.
He doesn't cook and definitely doesn't bake, so I was so proud of him for even saying that he would make it. I was a little worried though because I really didn't help him at all.
But it turned out absolutely fabulous.
It was probably one of the best desserts that I had ever had.
I think that we have discovered a great hidden talent of his.

I thought that I would share the recipe that made my husband a baking rock star in my eyes.




Sour Cream Shortcake:


Ingredients:

1/2 cup butter (room temperature)
3 eggs (room temperature)
1/2 cup sour cream (room temperature)
1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. baking soda
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla

Combine flour, baking powder and soda, set aside. Beat butter in an electric mixer for 30 seconds on high. Gradually add in sugar. Beat 10 minutes or until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Add eggs one at a time beating 1 minute after each addition. Scrape bowl frequently. Add dry mixture and sour cream alternately, beating on medium speed after each addition.

Pour into greased loaf pan.

Bake in a 325' preheated oven for 60 to 70 minutes until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool on wire rack. Cut into 1 inch slices when cool.

(recipe from Better Homes and Gardens "New Cook Book")


Strawberries:
Cut desired amount of strawberries (about 1 pint) into slices
Add 1/2 cup granulated sugar
Stir. Cover with plastic wrap.
Let sit at room temperature until sugar has dissolved.



Top 1 slice of cake with strawberries and whipped cream (we just used Cool Whip).
Serve and enjoy!



I don't have a picture of what it looked like.
I can tell you that it was so good that it didn't last very long.



No comments:

Post a Comment