Saving money while living life!

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Mom's Homemade Bisquick Mix




I think that I get some of my thriftiness from my Mom. Growing up we didn't have a lot of money but my Mom wanted to make sure that we always had good food to eat. She would use often make things from scratch to save money.

I remember her making homemade Bisquick mix in order to save time and money. The mix works just like the store bought kind but costs so much less to make (and in my opinion tastes better too).




Mom's Homemade Bisquick Mix


8 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup baking powder
2 tsp salt
8 tsp sugar
1 cup Crisco shortening

Mix together dry ingredients. Then cut in 1 cup shortening with pastry blender or fork until it forms a very fine consistency.
Store in air tight container. Will stay fresh for several months if refrigerated.





To make biscuits: add 1/3 cup milk for each cup of biscuit mix. Mix and roll out on floured surface. Cut out and bake at 425 until browned.

Can be used in recipes calling for Bisquick.
To find recipes to use it with go here for a blog that has hundreds of free Bisquick recipes.



No comments:

Post a Comment