Saving money while living life!

Friday, May 28, 2010

Mom's Snowball Cookies


My mom grew up in Southern California where there was a heavy Hispanic influence. Growing up she always made us Snowball Cookies. It wasn't until I was an adult that I realized that most people called them Mexican wedding cookies. I asked my mother about it and all she said was "Well they looked like snowballs to me so that's what I called them". I am sure that her background in California was a major reason that she loved to make these cookies. Isn't it funny that where we live influences our tastes so much.

I have to tell you they are my absolute favorite cookie. I normally make them around Christmas time but honestly they are so good that I could eat them anytime. I have to be careful though because I can honestly eat the whole batch at once.


Mom's Snowball Cookies


1 cup butter
1/2 cup powdered sugar, sifted (my mom never sifted anything she said she didn't believe in it)
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/2 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup walnuts chopped

Cream butter and sugar in large bowl until light. Stir in vanilla. Sit flour and salt and mix in. Stir in Walnuts. Shape into balls (they should be about an inch in diameter). Place on un-greased cookie sheet. Bake 15 minutes at 350'.
Roll in powdered sugar straight out of oven. Cool. Roll again in powdered sugar.
Makes about 36 cookies.




No comments:

Post a Comment