Saving money while living life!

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Guest Post: Cute Do It Yourself Picnic Basket

I was looking for some summer projects for me to do and I found this cute idea of making a Picnic Basket from Thrifty Parsonage Living. I really like the idea of making a holder for utensils. Now if I can just find the time to do the project.


On a recent trip to Walmart I found this for $5.00.

It's easy to store because it folds down like this...

Thinking it should have a few accessories and
since thrifty has become my middle name,

I decided to make my own accessories.

I started with 3 dishtowel purchased for $3.99

and some ribbon that I already had from another project.


The first thing I made was a silverware holder.


I folded one of the dishtowels over by 1/3.

Then I measured out the placement for the silverware

adding a chalk line to act as a sewing guide.


Then sewed the chalk lines.


The silverware was placed in the newly created pockets.


I then added the finishing touch by placing a pretty ribbon around it.


This will also keep it compact and rolled up for easy storage.




I also wanted a convenient way to transport the dirty silverware and dishes home after picnics, so I took another dishtowel and sewed the sides and bottom together forming a bag. I finished it off by adding a ribbon for a drawstring. When the bag is dirty after use, all you need to do is throw it in the washing machine.





The third towel serves a dual purpose...
serving as the baskets lid and

for wiping up spills or dirty hands the day of your picnic.

Here is the finished product, which I have named...


My Little Red Ridding Hood Basket!!!


My total cost for the project ~ $8.99

Doesn't it make you want to have a summer picnic?

No comments:

Post a Comment