Saving money while living life!

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Twenty Four Days of Christmas Crafts


Today's Christmas craft comes straight from the thrift store.

When my husband and I were in collage we had very little money for Christmas let alone decorations, so I had be creative to come up with cheap things to decorate with. I found a bunch of clear glass ornaments at the local thrift store (I think that I paid less than $1.00 for about 24 of them). And I also found a half bag of that flaky fake snow stuff and some tinsel. (which I believe that I paid around $.40 for both at a different thrift store). You can also buy the items needed to make the ornaments at a regular store but I didn't have the money to do that. I then took off the top of the ornament off (you know the part that attaches to the Christmas tree) and filled some with the snow and some with the tinsel. Put the top back on the ornament and hang on the tree.


They turned out so pretty. I even gave some away as gifts. With just a few inexpensive thrift store items I was able to have pretty things on my tree for Christmas. I just love thrift stores. I don't think that my family would have made it through collage if it weren't for them.

Tip: When filling the ornaments with the snow make a funnel out of a scrap of paper. It makes the process so much easier. And when filling with tinsel use a pencil to push the tinsel into the ornament and to move it around so it looks nice.

If you are really creative you might also try filling the ornaments with glitter, string (see picture above) or even family photos. I think this year I am going to buy some and put our family's photo and our kids photos in to give to all the grandparents as presents.

No comments:

Post a Comment